Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"I didn't learn a thing!" - I can be so narrow minded!

"I didn't learn a thing" – well, I was so wrong about that.  I was so focused on specifically learning to paint a tree and to me that meant that we sat there with brush in hand, actually painting trees.  What I failed to understand at the time was how those exercises ended up creating a tree for me.  Obviously, I learned a lot of technique and skills but what helped me take some next steps were the following:

-          Everything is made up of circles, squares, triangles, etc…just break up objects into shapes and add color. 
-          Quiet inspires me the most but if I have to have music, it’s usually something like Al Green. 
-          And another thing – EVERYONE is an artist!  Art is simply creating something.

The most impactful lesson I learned was not just about art but life itself.  I learned that I need to work on letting go of having to control everything.  Go into anything you do with an open mind, patience and open to the probability that someone else might know more than you.  And live in the moment – value everything that you are doing, learning, seeing, feeling at the time that you are doing, learning, seeing, and feeling.  Let your brain rest, stop thinking about what’s next and missing out on what’s now.

Teachers can certainly teach you how to do something very specific, like painting a tree or a math problem or how to write the perfect sentence.  But more important; teachers have something very special that most of us don’t have – the ability to help us find our passions; what we are good at, our inspiration, our confidence. 

For all of you who constantly say to me – I could never be an artist.  If you really want to learn an art and live in the area, I highly recommend checking out pARTiculars Gallery and Teaching Studio in Lafayette.  There are so many varieties of art and teachers.  For painting and so much fun – ask for Jane Whittlesey!  Setting aside some time to be creative helps reduce stress, allows your brain to relax and your whole body is just at peace for a little while. 

                                     Dee's Plum Autumn repainted on a 2" X 2" canvas - on my desk!

1 comment:

Amy Chu said...

What an awesome description, Tammy! Some of what I have experienced is in our expression here! I took classes from Jane for a long time. I feel like you were in a piece of my life. You were!
Amy Chu,Boulder, student of Jane Whittlesey